Consulting Services at TCGen Inc.
Program management consulting is a service that maximizes the capability of teams to deliver programs on time, on budget, and exceed stakeholders requirements.
Are your programs late, over budget, and fail to delight customers? These symptoms are often the result of poor program management. The most effective, processes are based on empowerment and trust.
TCGen helps organizations deliver programs on time, within budget and delight customers.
“John was able to come in to a complex assignment and teach both the art and science of project leadership. Seek him out.”— Todd Tomba, Roche R&D Executive
The diagram above describes the system of Program Management. The best practice uses an Agile / Lean process but does not ignore the needs of the organization to oversee major financial investments and customer facing releases. Our product management and product definition expertise help firms do the right thing, while our program management expertise, enables high-performance cross functional teams to optimize performance and improve decision making. Typically, the best programs have metrics and KPIs showing how well they execute – to do things right. In both innovation and execution, our best practices are customized to fit your company’s markets and culture.
TCGen’s consultants typically involve a thorough assessment of your organization’s needs. We identify a small number of the most effective levers of improvement. We work with teams and management to create custom solutions to address a focused set of challenges. TCGen then works with your Program Management Office (PMO) to create and deliver a sequenced series of phases, targeting the most important levers of improvement in program and project management.
This inch wide, mile deep approach creates results quickly. TCGen then monitors the behavioral change over time to see that it is taking hold. We manage change by measuring behavior.
TCGen’s Program Management experience
“We’re making better decisions, faster”— Apple Executive
As a program management consultant, John designed and implemented the Apple New Product Process (ANPP) which is used throughout all product divisions including the iPhone, iPad, and Mac divisions.
When we first implemented the process, their manager of product marketing said, “we are making better decisions, faster.” We helped Apple create the minimum process necessary: lightweight, Agile, with few checkpoints and mandatory deliverables.
In a program management engagement at Roche, we helped the existing program management office roll out advanced capabilities across their global organization, and this benefited the project manager role, too. We designed a well structured system that helped to clarify scope, and track progress. Risk management was a high priority for the organization and we helped implement an improved process that emphasized early identification of risks to help avoid them. This helped them gain visibility into programs and increase predictability.
At BOSE, TCGen founder John Carter managed the development of products such as the BOSE® Wave® Music System and Noise-Cancelling Headphones, enjoyed by millions of customers world-wide.
With years of consulting experience in light weight, iterative processes as well as setting up and managing PMOs, John has developed an expertise in program management process improvement. He has learned or developed a wealth of Best Practices, and a powerful knowledgebase. TCGen’s approach enables clients to decrease time-to-market; to make schedules more predictable, and to proactively predict and manage risks, minimizing their consequences
TCGen’s approach to Program Management includes…
- A lightweight process that enables and empowers program and project managers
- High performance cross functional teams that have clear lines of accountability and communication
- Agile program management that enables teams to pivot if they need to while keeping alignment with executives
TCGen’s program management consulting services addresses a range of business challenges…
- Many startups and growth companies are struggling to scale, and to reach that next level of development maturity. This becomes a challenge when organizations start a new product line or develop interdependent projects at the same time. We help organizations manage this new complexity with novel program management methods to improve predictability.
- Other companies want more predictable, reliable results from major, NEW products (new to the company or new to the world). We specialize in helping organizations in their product process. Yet others want greater efficiency, or a better feel for market changes. Wherever your company’s needs, our customized solutions help you to achieve your goals.
- Mature firms in more established industries tend to have more layers of hierarchy and greater resistance to change – this is often called the “frozen middle.” Our expertise in organizational change management and predictive metrics enables us to assess cultural challenges and produce targeted results that respect the tone of your organization. We manage change by measuring behavior.
- While global, distributed teams are required in today’s complex and connected world, the lines of communication, accountabilities, and decision making can be slow and unpredictable. We have enabled teams to rise to the challenge by creating a high performance cross functional team structure that clarifies decision making external to the team.
- While agility has improved, there are still risks that can come up and surprise teams and their management – resulting in resets and costly delays. With better risk management systems, we can help organizations anticipate risks and have countermeasures ready to go, should they be required.
Whether you are large or small, a start-up or an established firm, we develop the project plan along with you to create an engagement that creates Agile teams and achieves measurable program goals.
Assessment & Planning
Our proprietary assessment process yields deep insights for your team. We identify the root causes behind the management challenges you face and develop solutions that improve your ability to select winners and allocate resource to projects.
Expertise in metrics is a hallmark of TCGen. We rely on measurement to motivate change and monitor progress. We measure the right behaviors to ensure that the changes take hold and continue to produce lasting results.
Sustainable Best Practices
Your investment in TCGen earns increased organizational capability. We not only implement Best Practices but we also teach you how to build on the improvements so that your company is prepared for the next challenge.
Product Development Expert
John Carter is a widely respected expert on product development. He is an inventor of Bose’s Noise Cancelling Headphones and designer of Apple’s New Product Process. As Founder of TCGen Inc., he has consulted for Abbott, Amazon, Apple, Cisco, HP, IBM, Mozilla, Roche, and 3M.