Why Work With An Agile Consulting Firm?
You’re probably facing one of these common problems:
- Products are late and don’t meet expectations
- Product development is unpredictable
- Products slow to launch to market
Agile consulting is a solution for this common set of problems that plague development teams. It is more than training, It is more than a formula of agile processes and agile practices. And “Agile in name only” is not our goal.
I’ve come to understand this through years of driving agile strategies and running agile projects in global Biotech, Medical Technology, Consumer Tech, and Internet Infrastructure companies. I’ve learned that agile is simpler than you realize because it’s built on a small number of principles that give you agile capabilities and help you drive continuous improvement.
“John was able to come in to a complex assignment and teach both the art and science of project leadership. Seek him out.”— Todd Tomba, Roche R&D Executive
Below, I explain what an Agile consulting firm does and how you benefit. I also discuss how we approach consulting at TCGen. Then, I’ll share our approach to Agile Transformation and what differentiates TCGen from the rest.
Benefits of Agile Consulting
Our clients have reported measurable improvements in team performance following an Agile Transformation including:
- Increasing the time spent engineering and delivering value
- Cutting Time to Market
- Reducing product defects
In-house Team vs Outsourced Agile Consultants
If you already have an Agile mindset, and high performing Agile teams, and you are far along your journey then you may not need to go outside to seek Agile consulting services.
On the other hand, if you are struggling with Agile teams, you might leverage expert external resources.
What Do Agile Consulting Services Provide?
- Helps teams incorporate user and stakeholder feedback into the product
- Helps build permanent change by designing metrics that enable sustainable improvements, and
- Provides agile coaching, advice, training, and process design that build the customer-centered approach into new product development
Often this is done within the context of Agile Product Development, or Hybrid Development approach (including devops and processes from Scaled Agile Framework to Kanban) – and it is very common.
Skill up your people.
Scale up your processes.
Speed up your revenue.
Agile consultants help companies create an agile transformation that touches many aspects of the operating model of your organization including:
- Roles (Scrum Master, Product Owner/Product Manager)
- Processes (Sprints & Demos)
- Tools (Jira)
“We’re making better decisions, faster”— Apple Executive
Since Agile transformation entails a culture change, many companies turn to Agile consulting to help them build the related capabilities into their team across each of these domains.
TCGen’s Agile Transformation Consulting Services
TCGen’s approach is straightforward:
- We first highlight the pain points.
- Then we agree on goals and KPIs.
- We then work on the most effective levers of improvement.
We believe that Agile is more than a process and “Agile in name only” is not our goal.
Consulting Services – The TCGen Approach
TCGen’s agile approach combines our expertise with your business strategy to ensure that the process is “right-sized” and addresses your strategic imperatives.
- Agile training
- Project management
- Roles & Responsibilities definition
We work with team members and management to create a plan, crafting custom solutions to address a focused set of challenges in business agility and adaptability. TCGen then works with you to deliver a sequenced series of steps, targeting the most important levers of improvement.
TCGen is a management consulting firm committed to your overall business success in creating an agile organization with select agile methodologies. We’re not just Agile trainers or coaches; we do not just help you with certifications and the like.
TCGen’s Agile Transformation Expertise
TCGen founder John Carter designed and implemented the Apple New Product Process (ANPP). This is an Agile process used throughout Apple’s product divisions.
- Medical Technology – Implemented a transformation with a large US/German R&D organization that adheres to design control to improve predictability.
- Consumer Technology – Implemented sprints, including tracking, definition of done, and a novel (and simple) demonstration methodology, to improve execution and increase internal customer focus.
- Internet Infrastructure – Created an Agile discovery process to speed software development. The result: an entirely new product that attracted new revenues and customers.
- Financial Services – Created an iterative model for doing investment research and decision making so that deals could move through the pipeline with greater speed.
“John has that rare combination of brilliance and pragmatism that truly sets him apart. John is world class.”— Dan Keller, HP Executive
We also have experience in applying Agile across the lifecycle, from portfolio management, the roadmap process, user stories and backlog grooming, program management, all the way through development and creation of business value.
The TCGen Difference
TCGen’s approach to Agile Consulting differs from the others because we listen. We drive deeply into the management issues and culture of the organization. In a dialog with senior leadership, we then define the key results you would like to achieve. We guide organizations to apply select elements from Agile Product Development. These may include ceremonies, processes, or methodologies like Scrum, including roles such as Scrum Master and Product Owner and processes that iterate.