Tired of late products that don’t meet targets? We can help you get Better Products Faster
Product development consulting is a service that helps companies capability to innovate and execute to deliver new products faster.
These offerings satisfy a need, or they solve a problem that has yet to be defined – but would delight customers if they knew they existed. The most effective, lean product development processes are based on empowerment and trust.
“We’re making better decisions, faster”— Apple Executive
Management’s goals are best served when team leaders have responsibility and accountability for the new product development process. Senior management must let go of the tendency to micro-manage and empower teams to be successful. Our approach encourages the right kind of senior management oversight that keeps empowered teams on task throughout the product design and development process. In other words, as little process as necessary, but enough to prevent repeating mistakes.
We call this the “Minimum Viable Process”.
The minimum process necessary, but no less.
TCGen is a consulting firm that helps organizations to both innovate new products and to execute projects more efficiently.
The diagram above describes the result of a successful engagement. Best practice product development processes are to use an Agile / Lean process but not to ignore the needs of the organization to oversee major financial investments and customer facing releases. We suggest three check-ins in a framework that supports Agility. You get the best of both Agile and Lean process at the same time and provide management the checks and balances that are needed when major commitments are made. Our product management and product definition expertise help firms do the right thing, while our Agile, high-performance teaming, and metrics knowledge helps companies do things right. In both innovation and execution, our best practices are customized to fit your company’s markets and culture.
TCGen’s product development consultants typically involve a thorough assessment of your organization’s needs. We identify a small number of the most effective levers of improvement. We work with teams and management to create custom solutions to address a focused set of challenges. TCGen then works with you to create and deliver a sequenced series of steps, targeting the most important levers of improvement.
This inch wide, mile deep approach creates results quickly. TCGen then monitors the behavioral change over time to see that it is taking hold. We manage change by measuring behavior. We apply the same approaches to helping companies with their product development strategy, too.
We have also helped with ideation in product development, helping companies with portfolio management, product development strategy and the creation of innovative products.
TCGen’s Product Development experience
Medical Devices & Health Care
TCGen helped Roche Diagnostics, a leader in the medical device field, improve their product development by creating customized solutions in advanced project management.
For Bio-Rad we had a product development consulting engagement where we worked with the platform team to helped with the process to design the next generation platform of diagnostic testing systems. With market research we identified a unique customer visitation plan and implemented it with not just the product marketing organization but with the entire cross-functional platform team. The results: a platform launch that was Bio-Rad’s most successful ever, an enduring winner for them over many years.
At BOSE, TCGen founder John Carter managed the development of products such as the BOSE® Wave® Music System and Noise-Cancelling Headphones, enjoyed by millions of customers world-wide.
Apple New Product Process (ANPP)
At Apple, when we first implemented their new product process, their manager of product marketing said, “we are making better decisions, faster.” We helped Apple create the minimum process necessary: lightweight, Agile, with few checkpoints and mandatory deliverables.
“John was able to come in to a complex assignment and teach both the art and science of project leadership. Seek him out.”— Todd Tomba, Roche R&D Executive
With years of product development process experience in light weight, iterative processes, John has developed an expertise in new product development process improvement. He has learned or developed a wealth of product development Best Practices, a powerful knowledgebase. TCGen’s approach enables clients to decrease time-to-market; to make reliable organizational change that makes a difference in projects; and to empower teams, improving morale and cutting waste.
TCGen’s Product Development and Product Strategy practice includes…
- A lightweight process that manages the day-to-day decisions that move and filter product concepts as they make their way toward the pipeline
- An Agile transformation methodology that includes customizing what it means to be Agile customized to the client’s needs
- The application of prior project learning or a selective case study to ensure the business process in the future state is validated and proven to work
- A methodology that aligns the Board, the CEO, Business Development and the rest of the C-Suite down to scrum masters
- A process that focuses on customer needs, not additional features without benefits
- A product strategy process built on best practices of portfolio management and product innovation to help companies enter new businesses
- A hands-on approach where you work with Principals, and not a large team including recent graduates without real life experience
TCGen’s Product Development consulting services addresses a range of problems…
“John has that rare combination of brilliance and pragmatism that truly sets him apart. John is world class.”— Dan Keller, HP Executive
- Too many companies do not adequately manage their Product Development Strategy. They are missing systems for managing this fragile front-end of new product development.
- Organizations are often trying to innovate in new ways. We have helped clients with Design Thinking to help assure that the new, transformative products will delight customers at launch. We de-mystify the front end with systems that enable decision-makers to converge quickly and reliably on the best opportunities for creating winning products.
- Many startups and growth companies are struggling to scale, and to reach that next level of development maturity. This becomes a challenge when organizations start a new product line or develop interdependent projects at the same time. We help organizations manage this new complexity with novel program management methods to improve predictability.
- Other companies want more predictable, reliable results from major, NEW products (new to the company or new to the world). We specialize in helping organizations in new product development. Yet others want greater efficiency, or a better feel for market changes. Wherever your company’s needs, our customized solutions help you to achieve your goals.
- Mature firms in more established industries tend to have more layers of hierarchy and greater resistance to change – this is often called the “frozen middle.” Our expertise in organizational change management and predictive metrics enables us to assess cultural challenges and produce targeted results that respect the tone of your organization. We manage change by measuring behavior.
Product Development Expert
John Carter is a widely respected expert on product development. He is an inventor of Bose’s Noise Cancelling Headphones and designer of Apple’s New Product Process. As Founder of TCGen Inc., he has consulted for Abbott, Amazon, Apple, Cisco, HP, IBM, Mozilla, Roche, and 3M.